I have recently really gotten into cooking, and I found this recipe on the Chatelaine website of all places and it's just awesome! I've been vegetarian all my life and this is a great take on lasagna if you're sick of plain old vegetarian lasagna. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but it got eaten way too fast by myself, my roommates and my boyfriend! They all loved it!
Mexican Pepper and Bean Lasagna
Cooking time 6 minutes
Preparation time 30 minutes
Standing Time 10 minutes
Baking Time 45 minutes
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 each red and yellow or green peppers
- 1 large onion
- 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans
- 19 oz (540 mL) can kidney or romano beans
- Olive oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) tomato-based pasta sauce
- 475 g container extra-smooth ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each ground cumin and dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 14 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 3 cups (750 mL) grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coarsely chopped fresh coriander (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Core and seed peppers, then coarsely
chop. Slice onion in half. Place cut-side down on board. Thinly slice.
Drain and rinse beans.
2. Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium
heat. Add peppers and onion. Stir often until softened, 5 to 6
minutes. Stir in beans and pasta sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring
often. Remove from heat. In a large bowl stir ricotta with cumin,
thyme, chili flakes, salt and pepper.
3. Spread enough sauce to barely cover bottom of a 9x13-inch (3-L)
baking dish. Cover with 4 or 5 noodles. Don't overlap. Spoon half the
ricotta mixture in dollops overtop, then gently spread as best you can
toward edges. Pour half of sauce overtop, then smooth surface.
Sprinkle with 1 cup (250 mL) grated cheese. Top with 4 or 5 noodles,
remaining ricotta mixture and 1 cup (250 mL) cheese. Finish with
noodles, gently pressing them down. Cover with remaining sauce and
sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake, uncovered, in centre of 350F (180C) oven until a knife tip
inserted in centre of lasagna feels warm, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove
from oven and sprinkle with coriander. Let stand 10 minutes before